directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Error reporting ?
Date Fri, 22 May 2015 17:23:37 GMT
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 11:09 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> what's the best strategy for error reporting ? More specifically, whn
> you expose a dialog box to get some user's input, we do check some of
> the values. If one of them is invalid, we currently change the font to
> red, but there is no place we say what's wrong, and that would be
> convenient.
>
> What do you think would be the best approach ?

not much expertise in User eXperience design, but here I mention my opinion
as a user

> - logging ? (that would be a bit useless, IMO, except for tracing the
> inputs)
> - status line ? (do we have one ?)

nope, status line is not an ideal place for displaying errors, it is at the
bottom and generally
less concentrated are in UI (unless you are a IDE user ;)

> - a special zone in each dialog/windo ?

nope

> - a bullet associated to teh input box ?
>
> +1, an asterisk or a question mark with a label displaying error message or
      displaying the error in a tooltip is fine, especially if message is
too big.

Thanks !

--
Kiran Ayyagari