directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Fortress] Sonar...
Date Wed, 20 May 2015 13:52:29 GMT
Le 20/05/15 14:37, Shawn McKinney a écrit :
>> On May 20, 2015, at 2:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> interesting result : in the past four days, we went from 2543 Sonar
>> issues down to 1677. No more blockers, only 1 critical instead of 61,
>> and many less minor issues :
>>
>> https://analysis.apache.org/dashboard/index/211987?did=4&period=2
>>
>> This tool is very intersting in many ways. It also let you know which
>> are the undocumented API in a convenient way :
>>
>> https://analysis.apache.org/dashboard/index?id=org.apache.directory.fortress:fortress-core&did=2&period=2
>>
>> (last table on the right column)
>>
>> Nice !
> Agreed, very handy tool indeed.  Has enabled us to find many potential problems and fix
rapidly.

> My question is how far do we go?  For example the code complexity and cycle metrics.
 The former complains about simple utility methods that have many getters and setters.  The
latter requires moving classes around thus breaking compatibility with existing clients.
I get the need to reduce complexity, yet don’t want to spend time needlessly.

I would say : fix whatever seems simple to fix. Low hanging fruits
first, after of course critical and blocking issues.

I have asked some creds to log on the tool to be able to tune some of
the rules.

We can discuss specific rules that seems a bit too strict, if needed.

The value I see in such a tool is mainly about reviewing the code, which
allows us to find some real and hidden issues, like the one on roles...