directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: $NON-NLS-1$ usage...
Date Mon, 04 May 2015 19:29:53 GMT
On 05/04/2015 09:18 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 04/05/15 19:30, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
>> On 05/04/2015 02:37 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> in Studio, we have thousands of "// $NON-NLS-1$" comments in Studio's
>>> code. Those comments were used to shut down some warnings in eclipse.
>>> This is now totally superflouous, as we already have ignored such a
>>> warning in the formatter we are using.
>>>
>>> I woudl suggest we remove all those comments in the code.
>>>
>>> Thoughts ?
>>>
>> They have another meaning: They are marker of the "Externalize Strings"
>> tool/wizard. So if we want to continue to support NLS I think usage of
>> the tool and the markers are essential.
> Ah, good to know.
>
> What about the markers that are after Strings that are already read from
> Properties, like in :
>         toolkit.createLabel( serverIdComposite, Messages.getString(
> "OpenLDAPOverviewPage.ServerID" ) ); //$NON-NLS-1$
> ?

Yes, because this "ID" should not be externalized again.

> Also should I add it when I use a String ?

In general yes. Either you add them manually. Or you just code and at
some point you select right-click on a single file or package or the src
whole project and choos "Source -> Externalize Strings..." and follow
the wizard. There you can also choose "Ignore" for Strings not to
externalize, it adds the $NON-NLS-X$ for you. I'd recommend to commit
before doing this because the wizard handling is a bit uncommon.

Kind Regards,
Stefan