directory-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fortress] fortress-core release
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2015 15:59:58 GMT

> On Apr 3, 2015, at 10:38 AM, Shawn McKinney <smckinney@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 3, 2015, at 10:27 AM, Stefan Seelmann <mail@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>>

>> I think the standard JEE way is to put all configuration to context.xml
>> [1] which can be deployed together with the war.
>

> For JEE managed resources like datasources I agree but how would this work for application
managed resources like ldap connections?

Stefan your comments have me thinking….

Arbitrary name/value pairs can be added to context.xml and made available to the app.  Not
all of the fortress properties would need to go there, just the ones that tell it how to connect
to the directory.

So if we allowed overrides of the ldap props, e.g. ldap.host, to be dropped into context.xml
- what is the procedure for deployment?  i.e. when would the user modify the file, and where
would the file reside?

I currently use context.mxl for integrating with the fortress tomcat security realm.  But
that file also resides in the war’s /meta-inf folder.  So my assumption is the user stages
their own copy of context.xml outside the .war, where tomcat picks it up.  If assumption is
correct, this would work fine.

Thanks

Shawn
smckinney@apache.org