directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API relaxed mode
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 11:53:09 GMT
Le 28/04/15 12:09, Radovan Semancik a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm back to work on the API support for OpenLDAP an other servers.
> I've explored the situation a bit. I still do not know what was the
> original reason for the relaxed mode (does anyone know?).
Yes !!

Let me explain : in Studio, and more specifically in the Schema Editor
plugin, you want to let the user build a wrong schema (typically because
you want to let them correct the schema on the fly). It's extremelly
useful to be able to show the errors while the user is typing the
schema, like any semantic editor. This is why we need the relaxed mode.

> But it looks like if I make all the exceptions needed for processing
> OpenLDAP schema into the relaxed mode then it is just too much. It
> breaks the tests and I'm afraid that it may also break existing code
> that relies on the API.
>
> It looks like we need more than just relaxed=true/false. I propose the
> change from boolean isRelaxed in Registries (and related places) to
> enum with three values: STRICT, RELAXED and LAX. Strict and relaxed
> modes will be used as they are used today. The new lax mode will be
> used for OpenLDAP and other dirty schemas.
Where on OpenLDAP schema do you need a LAX mode ? AFAICT, we are able to
parse all the OpenLDAP schemas in Strict mode...

Also one clue about the whay the schemaManager processes schemas :
- a first pass is done where we simple read all the schema elements, not
controling any of the interdependence between them (for instance, if an
OC is declared but not the used AT, then we accept the OC).
- a second pass now check all the dependencies between all the schema
elements. So to speak, this is the STRICT mode.

Does it make sense ?