directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] Questions about LdifSourceViewerConfiguration class
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:07 GMT
Ok, another question.

What's the best style : defining the elements like Reconciler,
contentAssistent, etc, in the constructor, or instanciate them when they
are requested like what is done in the flollowing code.

    public ITextDoubleClickStrategy getDoubleClickStrategy(
ISourceViewer sourceViewer, String contentType )
    {
        if ( this.doubleClickStrategy == null )
        {
            this.doubleClickStrategy = new LdifDoubleClickStrategy();
        }

        return this.doubleClickStrategy;
    }

vs

    public LdifSourceViewerConfiguration( ILdifEditor editor, boolean
contentAssistEnabled )
    {
        super();

        this.editor = editor;
        this.contentAssistEnabled = contentAssistEnabled;

        // Instanciate the DoubleClickingStartegy
        doubleClickStrategy = new LdifDoubleClickStrategy();
    }

    public ITextDoubleClickStrategy getDoubleClickStrategy(
ISourceViewer sourceViewer, String contentType )
    {
        return this.doubleClickStrategy;
    }

My understanding is that the first style will only instanciate the
elements when there are absolutely necessary (ie, only when they are
used) vs a style where we create everything at startup, and return the
element in the getter.

My guts say that I prefer the second style, but my guts also tell me
that there is a good reason why it's not done this way (like : why
creating some resource which will never be used ?)

Thanks !