directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Mavibot] Status
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2015 18:50:28 GMT
A quick update...

I was not able to work too much on mavibot those last two weeks. Still,
some progress has ben made last week-end :

- first, DIRSERVER_2047 has been investigated deeply. It was really
problematic, as the browsefrom(K) method was producing various NPE and
wrong result. It took long to get it fixed. We have to thank Lin Zhao
for having been patient and helpful to get the pb fixed

- second, I ran a quick performance test to see what's going on.
Browsing a B-tree with 500 keys, each one of them having 9 values (which
resolves to a sub-btree), after having positionned the cursor before a
key from 0 to 499 took 9 seconds, and 23 seconds when browsing backward.
It was a bit slow, considering we are fetching 500 * 250 tuples (500
iterations, for an average of half the tuples being fetched). That was
around 14 000 tuples get per second.

So I profiled the test. I as surprised to see that we were deserializing
many many keys and values, which was not expected, as we have a cache.
After a bit of analysis, I saw that we were missing the cache many
times. There was one reason for that : the cache size was set to 1 !!!
As soon as I set it to the default value (ie 1000), it took only 2.7
seconds to browse forward and 3.8 to browse backward, with no cache miss !

Those two changes make me think we should release now. The next steps
will be to move back the CPB btree, and manage the free pages.

More to come later ...


Mime
View raw message