directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ritika Nevatia <nevatiarit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Would like to contribute: Student, GSOC Aspirant
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2015 08:10:22 GMT
Hi Kai

Google Summer of Code is held annually where different Open Source
organizations have come together to involve students to promote and
contribute to open source developement.
Apache Software Foundation as an organization has been participating in
GSOC since 2010. Links to successful projects in the past are (you'll have
to filter them by organization):
2010 (39 projects by Apache)
<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2010>, 2011(35
projects)
<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2011>, 2012(38
projects)
<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2012>, 2013(44
projects)
<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2013> and 2014(33
projects)
<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2014>.
Apache DS has been working on interesting projects for quite sometime now
and involvement in GSOC will attract more Open Source Contributions. As a
mentoring organization in GOSC, Apache DS can get done modules and parts of
their code through interns who will be paid by GSOC. Apache DS will have to
provide a mentor for each student they select. More information about being
a mentor organization can be found here
<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/help_page#1._What_is_a_mentoring_organization>.
As a mentor organization, you will have to submit a proposal of the
sub-project you are interested in having interns for from 9th February 2015
to 20th February.
<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2015>

I am glad that you find this interesting.
Since my aim is to participate in GSOC as a student intern, yes, I would
actively like to investigate and contribute to Apache DS to participate in
this event.

Do let me know if you would like to be a mentor or someone from the
community would be interested, and if there is anything I could do to
support so.

Meanwhile, I am going through the sub-tasks and understanding the projects
in order to contribute to them.

Thanks!

*​Ritika Nevatia* *Student**, University of Mumbai*
Mobile: +91-900-430-9190
<http://in.linkedin.com/in/nevatiaritika>
<http://blogger.com/profile/beingritika.blogspot.com>
<http://twitter.com/beingritika>  <http://facebook.com/nevatiaritika>