directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Result was : Re: [Vote] Accept Kai Zheng contribution (Haox) as a sub-project
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2015 09:28:47 GMT
Though I like a internal nerdy joke as much as the next man, I do have some
reservations with potential names like Fluffy and Kerby. Like many other I
think they are fun names. When I first glance on those names, I thought of
Harry Potter, toys and Herbie.
I believe hey are names for a different application area than
Authentication, Authorization and Security.

And that is playing field we deliver our solutions in. An area that is not
only visited (worked in) by developers, but also auditors and other kind of
assessors. And these persons don't get the inside jokes. They go for
trustworthiness and reliability. And when the name of the product doesn't
instil that from the start, it will have a steeper hill to climb.

We must be aware that this product already has a competing disadvantage
when compared to Kerberos, and we should not add to that. People might
consider a product like Apache Kerby as the little brother of Kerberos, not
to be taken seriously. We also have to take into consideration that Apache
stands for quality software solutions. I don't think that Apache .....y
does instil the confidence and assurance that we it to have from the get-go.

My 2cts

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*