directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Would like to contribute: Student, GSOC Aspirant
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2015 08:54:11 GMT
Hi Ritika,

Thanks for your investigation and rational. It makes sense to me. I’m sure and happy to
mentor you if everything goes well. I guess we can try and make it happen.

Regards,
Kai

From: Ritika Nevatia [mailto:nevatiaritika@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 4:10 PM
To: Apache Directory Developers List
Subject: Re: Would like to contribute: Student, GSOC Aspirant

Hi Kai

Google Summer of Code is held annually where different Open Source organizations have come
together to involve students to promote and contribute to open source developement.
Apache Software Foundation as an organization has been participating in GSOC since 2010. Links
to successful projects in the past are (you'll have to filter them by organization):
2010 (39 projects by Apache)<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2010>,
2011(35 projects)<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2011>,
2012(38 projects)<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2012>,
2013(44 projects)<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2013>
and 2014(33 projects)<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2014>.
Apache DS has been working on interesting projects for quite sometime now and involvement
in GSOC will attract more Open Source Contributions. As a mentoring organization in GOSC,
Apache DS can get done modules and parts of their code through interns who will be paid by
GSOC. Apache DS will have to provide a mentor for each student they select. More information
about being a mentor organization can be found here<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/help_page#1._What_is_a_mentoring_organization>.
As a mentor organization, you will have to submit a proposal of the sub-project you are interested
in having interns for from 9th February 2015 to 20th February.<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2015>

I am glad that you find this interesting.
Since my aim is to participate in GSOC as a student intern, yes, I would actively like to
investigate and contribute to Apache DS to participate in this event.

Do let me know if you would like to be a mentor or someone from the community would be interested,
and if there is anything I could do to support so.

Meanwhile, I am going through the sub-tasks and understanding the projects in order to contribute
to them.

Thanks!
​
Ritika Nevatia Student, University of Mumbai
Mobile: +91-900-430-9190<tel:+91-900-430-9190>
[https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/linkedin.png]<http://in.linkedin.com/in/nevatiaritika>
[https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/blogger.png] <http://blogger.com/profile/beingritika.blogspot.com>
 [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/twitter.png] <http://twitter.com/beingritika>
 [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/facebook.png] <http://facebook.com/nevatiaritika>

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:28 AM, Zheng, Kai <kai.zheng@intel.com<mailto:kai.zheng@intel.com>>
wrote:
>> Will Apache DS be interested in mentoring as a part of Google Summer of Code 2015
as my major aim to contribute is participating in the same program.
Interesting! Maybe you could help think about it and give your thoughts why ApacheDS (or its
sub-projects) should/would consider that. Something like the benefits, possibilities, successful
example cases (for an Apache project) and howto. This will be a very interesting topic, would
you help investigate and contribute? Thanks.

Regards,
Kai