directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Result was : Re: [Vote] Accept Kai Sheng contribution (Haox) as a sub-project
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 00:17:13 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

Sounds great! My comments inline. Please confirm if I need to finish cleanup & clearance
first or not before importing the source. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Lécharny [mailto:elecharny@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2015 7:56 AM
To: Apache Directory Developers List
Subject: Re: Result was : Re: [Vote] Accept Kai Sheng contribution (Haox) as a sub-project

Hi,

I would suggest a slightly different plan :

- first of all, attach the sources to a JIRA (you can use the Kerberos JIRA for that). You
can perfectly point to the git hub repo, it's easier. We just need a trace.
[Kai] It's fine. I can do it now.

- you also have to grant the code to the ASF, which means you need to fill a ICLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt)
and get your compnay fill a CCLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt)
[Kai] I have signed a ICLA (for Hadoop contribution). For my company, as our organization
in the company (Intel) has already adopted the Apache open source working model so generally
when anyone of us in the organization would work on an Apache project, it should be fine.
So I guess CCLA step can also be saved (it's probably already done), as we (Intel) has already
so many contributions in Apache particularly in Hadoop space.

- once done, we can incoprorate the code base
[Kai] Should I finish the cleanup & clearance first before the incorporation?

- we need for that to ask for a git repo (that will take more or less one week)
[Kai] The sooner the better, thanks!

Once the git repo created, we can just import the whole history of your project, or just the
latest revision : it's really up to you.
[Kai] When it's appropriate to import, I will import the latest revision. The history may
look messy.

Regards,
Kai

Le 02/01/15 00:25, Zheng, Kai a écrit :
> Thanks Pierre for your suggestion and thought!
>
>>> work out a plan to incorporate the contribution
> I’m working on cleanup and clearance of Haox codes. There’re some codes I have to
rewrite. Along with that I’m also adding more tests to guard the change. So I may need a
month or so to prepare Haox well for the incorporation, considering my current bandwidth.

> As there’re some possible contributors that would like to work on this and speed it
up, during the cleanup & clearance I’m wondering if it’s OK for them to proceed as
follows:

> 1.     Fire JIRAs using the existing Kerberos component and document tasks that need
to or better be addressed during the time and they would help with;

> 2.     Patch will be attached on the JIRA if available;
>
> 3.     When review passed then applied to Haox codebase in Github for now.
>
> 4.     The credit goes to the contributor, as it should and we would to encourage them
to contribute the earlier the better.
> Does this help? It may speed up the progress greatly.
>
> Regarding the new sub-project name, yes you’re right we may not be able to use the
name. When it’s time we create the sub-project we need to think about an alternative name.

> Regards,
> Kai

Kerberos might sound logical, there might be legal issues regarding using Kerberos in the
name of both the sub project and the product. Kerberos is the product of the organisation
with the same name (www.kerberos.org<http://www.kerberos.org>).

> Regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM<http://www.orrtiz.com>
> Services & Solutions for Cloud-
> Based Manufacturing, Professional
> Services and Retail & Trade
> http://www.orrtiz.com<http://www.orrtiz.com/>
>
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 11:36 PM, Zheng, Kai <kai.zheng@intel.com<mailto:kai.zheng@intel.com>>
wrote:
> Thanks Emmanuel and all, it's a great encouragement for me. I know it means just beginning
along with the new year, I need and would work even harder on it. I'm very happy to contribute
to ApacheDS!