directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Would like to contribute: Student, GSOC Aspirant
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2015 16:39:39 GMT
Le 26/01/15 10:00, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Zheng, Kai <kai.zheng@intel.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hi all,
>>

>> Do we have any experience doing this? In my view we should have a try, as
>> a whole of ApacheDS project instead of sub-project each so that any
>> mentored contributors can be ready to work on any part of the whole.
>>

> Pierre-Arnaud and Stefan did this few years back

Please remember that it's quite demanding. You have to follow the on
going work, for an extended period of time (3 months if I recal it
correctly).

It's not about the money, it's all about the good each party would get
from it : potential new committers - although no one of the student whe
had remained active so far (shit happens) -, and learning a different
way to code.

Now, Google incentive (5500$ for the student, 500$ for the ASF per
student) is a high pile of cash for many countries, and even in western
countries like France, a student don't get such money to work on a
project during its internship, and it may be the reason many students
are willing to work on such a project.

I'd like to stress out two things :
- first, we don't give a shit about the money, we are focused on growing
the community. Students who just are interested in the 5500$, just
please go away.
- Second, don't think for ONE SECOND that it's pure kindness from
Google. They are conducting this program in order to find good
programmers they can hire later.

All that being said, I see no problem for a motivated student, who
really want to be part of our effort, to join us. We will not be kind,
you have to work hard and get things done. At one occasion, we had to
dismiss one student which work quality was too low. Be warned, we are
grumpy coders... But we also are kind persons !