directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Result was : Re: [Vote] Accept Kai Zheng contribution (Haox) as a sub-project
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 09:56:41 GMT
Le 04/01/15 16:23, Shawn McKinney a écrit :
> On 01/04/2015 03:28 AM, Pierre Smits wrote:
>> I believe hey are names for a different application area than Authentication, Authorization
and Security.
> +1 to that notion.
>
> On 01/04/2015 03:28 AM, Pierre Smits wrote:> And that is playing field we deliver
our solutions in. An area that is not only visited (worked in) by developers, but also auditors
and other kind of assessors. And these persons don't get the inside jokes. They go for trustworthiness
and reliability. And when the name of the product doesn't instil that from the start, it will
have a steeper hill to climb.
> Pierre and I on the same page.
I do agree that kerby could be seen as a weaker solution than a full
kerberos server.

Now, the thing is to fine a name that is not 'funny', but is not already
taken. Really, when it comes to security, all the names that come to
mind (like safeguard, safhaus, etc) are already used.

Add to that we need a name that is easy to remember, and convey the
right message. Or not : we can find a 'boring' name which is easy to
remember, and is not at all linked to kerberos : car manufactorer does
that all the time for their car (even if sometime it's not really great
: Audi just advertise a new car called e-tron, which literally means
'turd' in french ;-).

So let's start with some suggestion : what do you propose ?