directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject About Haox project
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2014 17:57:56 GMT
Hi all,

I'm Kai and a guy from Intel Big Data team. I have been working on Apache Hadoop for some
while, and used to be an ApacheDS contributor and committed the feature of CredentialCahce
and a simple Kinit tool, guided by Emmanuel and Kiran. After that when I was going to implement
more Kerberos features I realized there needs important improvement space in the existing
fundamental Kerberos codes. As a prototype I initiated Haox project  and have implemented
an ASN1 encoding/decoding framework, complete encryption and checksum crypto, Kerberos codec,
Keytab and CredentialCache facilities, KrbClient API and simple KDC server. It's still in
its initial phase and far from ideal. However as strongly suggested by Emmanuel and Kiran,
I should collaborate with ApacheDS community and continue to make the effort with you together.
It's great and now I'm going to contribute the project to ApacheDS. I have discussed with
Emmanuel and Kiran for quite some time about this. Based on our discussion, we have the following
proposal. It's for your review and consider. Please kindly provide your feedback and advise.
Thanks in advance.

1. First all our vision for the long term, we would think it makes great sense to establish
a first class Kerberos implementation in Java for the Apache world targeting today's environments
 in cloud, Hadoop and mobile. Therefore we could collaborate together in ApacheDS community
to build a "Apache Kerberos" project. That's why we're here.

2. And as the first step to start with, ApacheDS would accept Haox as a sub-project, renamed
as "Apache Kerberos". Then we consolidate existing Kerberos implementation codes in ApacheDS
into the new project;

3. Afterwards we will make further effort to push "Apache Kerberos" out as a top level project,
probably in a year or so.

We have discussed other approaches, like using the good stuffs in Haox to replace the corresponding
parts in ApacheDS Kerberos, as one may also suggest. So let's figure out what might be good
parts implemented in Haox.

1.     Haox-ASN1. It's a schema/model driven ASN1 parser and codec. Based on the framework
new Kerberos types can be easily defined following fixed patterns, without having to take
care of ASN1 encoding/decoding procedures. We see this as very important because Kerberos
itself and related extensions are very ASN1 heavy. Without the basic friendly library support
it's hard for new developers to contribute on new Kerberos evolving features. We tested the
codec performance and it outperforms a little. Emmanuel has even contributed a few optimization
improvements.

2.     Kerberos crypto. The crypto framework (based on RFC3961) and library implement all
the encryption types and checksum types that MIT Kerberos supports, like DES, DES3, AES, RC4,
CAMELLIA, with extensive interoperable tests covered. It relies on JCE for encryption but
not any Kerberos facilities provided in JRE. Potentially we could port it to other non-Oracle
Java environment like Android system, assuming we can implement corresponding encryption and
hash providers which can be pluggable.

3.     Kerberos codec. Based on Haox-Asn1, the codec has implemented all the necessary Kerberos
types defined in Krb5(RFC4210), Preauth/FAST(RFC6113), and PKINIT(4556). The core part has
some test cases covered already.

4.     KDC server. The implementation abstracts an KrbIdentityService API and decouples any
specific identity backend from the Kerberos server. We can provide an LDAP based backend,
or allow vendor to implement their own backed by SQL database, external LDAP server or whatever.
For simple unit test usage, a memory HashMap is all the needs. This allows our embedded KDC
really very lightweight avoiding many unnecessary dependencies.

5.     Haox-event. It implements a UDP/TCP mixed network event support based on Java NIO and
reactor pattern according to Kerberos's needs, where UDP and TCP are both required, and even
in IAKERB, a KDC proxy would serve both TCP server role and UDP/TCP client role. In Haox-event,
all these roles can be done in an unified event receiving, processing and replying. Test cases
are given but it definitely need to tune and improve. Again, it doesn't rely on any other
libraries, thus based on it KrbClient could easily be supported in other Java environment.

Keeping our long term goal in mind, we thought above functionalities, properties and considerations
may serve better to establish the foundation for "Apache Kerberos" project, and it would be
much easier to consolidate the existing Kerberos implementation into it.

So as a first step for the collaboration, how about:

1.     Prepare, which involves:

1) Necessary cleanup;

2) All Kerberos related codes will start package names with "org.apache.kerberos", all the
non-Kerberos related codes will be moved into contrib projects or libraries, like Haox-ASN1,
Haox-event, Haox-config, which are actually not Kerberos logic specific.

2. Move Haox to be an ApacheDS sub-project:
1) Renaming Haox as "Apache Kerberos";
2) A separate GIT repo;
3) A separate coding style, subject to be discussed and determined.

Then as the 2nd step, consolidate the necessary parts in existing Kerberos implementation.
Below is the initial list and please complement:

1.     Apache Directory Server support. We need to create an LdapIdentityBackend using Apache
Directory Server and use it by default, embedded in the KDC server.

2.     Installation packaging and service wrapper. Haox hasn't implemented such but ApacheDS
does.

3.     Tests. All the Kerberos related tests should be evaluated and ported to the new codebase
if not obsolete.

In addition to above, we also need to consider the following aspects, to make it good enough
for potential users.

1.     Adding the missing Javadoc.

2.     Adding more tests.

3.     Adding the documentation.
4. Building the web site

With such done, then we might obsolete the AacheDS Kerberos implementation and might move
all the related codes into an history folder for existing users. We would encourage users
to use the new project.
For the 3rd step, we would continue to implement some essential and advanced features, which
may include:

1.     Cross realm support, which means Apache Kerberos can federate with MIT Kerberos or
MS AD;

2.     Full functional client tools, like kinit, klist and kadmin, or other alternatives;

3.     Preauth/FAST framework, which allows to support other authentication mechanisms based
on the secure channel protected by an Armor TGT/key;

4.     PKINIT, authenticating user using x509 certificate other than plain password;

5.     Token preauth, authenticating user using a JWT token, to support OAuth.

6.     ...

Note tasks in step2 and 3 are not necessarily to be done in the order. We're likely to work
on them in parallel.

We would encourage more developers to contribute to the effort and develop the community.
Without that, we may not be able to make it to have a high quality of Kerberos implementation,
with all the important Kerberos feature gaps being filled.

Then finally as the last step, in some appropriate time we would push Apache Kerberos out
to be an Apache top level project.

All the points are just suggestions and subject to your discussion. Your feedback is most
welcome. As widely discussed in a week or so, this proposal is to be finalized and then re-posted.
Then let's collaborate and make it together.

Thanks for your support. Below is Haox project.
https://github.com/drankye/haox

At last but not least, many thanks to Emmanuel and Kiran. I can't appreciate them anymore.
Without their encouraging, I would not have the motivation though it's still far away from
the long term goal of "a first class Kerberos implementation". I do believe the Java world
needs such, and the whole Apache world needs it as well. Thanks for your great questions,
suggestions, complement points to sort this out. Thanks for helping me understand further
about the Apache way, particularly regarding how I should proceed and collaborate with you
guys in the community.

Thank you all.

Regards,
Kai