directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Notice to donate Fortress to the Apache Directory Project
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2014 10:35:40 GMT
RE: but only 2 active committers

Having such a low number of committers is a great risk for any project
under the ASF umbrella. It affects releasing on time, keeping the issues
list manageable and reactions to user questions.

All these aspects apply to keeping the project healthy. Because that is
optimal, the users are happy and promote the work and the project. Which
leads to more contributors and you get a greater pool of potentials to
select new committers from.

This means that you have to advertise. Advertise the product and the
project. There are numerous ways to do that. One of the easiest is
tweeting. Another good way is to have the first page of the projects
website that is not only being descriptive for developers, but also for
users.

Have a look at the first page of the Apache CouchDb
http://couchdb.apache.org. I believe the do a great job promoting the
product ánd solicit for help. I am sure the community of that project won't
mind using their approach.

Asking for assistance is not a sin, and diversity in skills (areas and
level) in the community/committers base and PMC keeps the project healthy.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-