directory-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <mckinney-2...@att.net>
Subject Re: Notice to donate Fortress to the Apache Directory Project
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2014 17:40:50 GMT
On 09/16/2014 03:44 PM, Shawn McKinney wrote:
> On 09/16/2014 03:17 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> However I also have concerns. The Directory project already has 5
>> subprojects, 3 of them with more then 200k LOC each, but only 2 active
>> committers. I just want to avoid that we inject yet another code drop
>> that nobody maintains later.
>
> Share your concerns.  If that day comes, won't we just move the dead
> projects to the attic?

Just a bit more on this topic...

I have worked building and supporting within the fortress code base for
many years.  My employer currently pays my salary to maintain this
project and that situation is unlikely to change in the near future.  As
previously mentioned, my co-collaborator Emmanel, is also a fortress
committer, and one who has over the past two years grown knowledgeable
of its code, architecture, functions and project dev processes to the
extent that he could one day run the project, or hand off to another, if
the need arised.  We also have working with us a couple of contributers,
who through proper mentorship, one day could become committers as well.
So you can see I believe that the fortress projects are still growing
and will continue to be properly supported for many years as they mature.

Shawn