directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Notice to donate Fortress to the Apache Directory Project
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:14:05 GMT
Le 16/09/14 13:32, Shawn McKinney a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> In order to increase the number of contributers and broaden adoption I
> am considering contributing Fortress to the Apache Directory project.
> I am offering this donation under the advisement of Emmanuel Lecharny
> who is also a committer on the Fortress project.  Emmanuel has focused
> his efforts on integrating Fortress with the Apache LDAP API and that
> work is nearly complete.  Please let me know if you would be
> interested in discussing this further.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Shawn

Hi guys,

let me give a bit more of insigths about this proposal.

I met Shawn a few years ago ina Ldap conference, when he did a
presentation on Fortress. Fortress is a bit similar to one of our
dormant (defunct?) project : Triplesec, except that it's very well
alive. Shawn was the only contributor to this project untill last year,
when I started to jumped into teh code base. The idea was to use the
Apache LDAP API instead of the license worisome UboundID API. The second
big change I did was to use the ApacheDS test suite into the project.
Last, not least, I implemented an extended operation that Fortress is
using internally to communicate with OpenLDAP (and that should be added
into ApacheDS too).

Along all those months, we discussed many times with Shawn about
bringing Fortress to The ASF, and more specifically to teh Directory
project, which sounds liek a good replacement for Triplesec. AFAICT,
there is no non AL.2.0 dependencies in the code base, once Unboundid
will be completely removed - just a matter of taking care of some
password policy elements-.

Now, what is Fortress ? From the www.openldap.org/fortress page,
"Fortress is 100% compliant with RBAC, ARBAC02 and IETF's password
policy draft.".

First, it's feature complete, which is important in this area. Second,
as you can notice, it's actually hosted by OpenLDAP.org, a well known
Open Source organization. That says Shawn knowns what it's all about,
when it comes to collaboration in a open source environment.

At this point, I would suggest to start a vote to accept the proposal as
a sub-project of Apache Directory, like Studio, Eskimo and the LDAP API,
but I want to hear about your opinions first.

Many thanks !