directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LdifReader speedup
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:45:07 GMT
> Hi !
>
> just coming back from a week of vacations...
>
> I have spent some time yesterday analysing the peformances of the
> BulkLoader. Most of the time is spent in the parsing of entries by the
> LdifReader class. 25% is spent in the PrepareString method, and 10% in
> the GeneralizedTimeNormalizer.
>
> If we don't call the PrepareString.normalize method, assuming that we
> don't have special strings, we save around 18%.
> A faster verison of the GeneralizedTimeNormalizer provides a 9% gain (it
> has been committed).
>
> At this point, the question is to know if we should call the
> PrepareString methods or not. Not calling it provides a huge speedup,
> but OTOH, it's an important phase.
>
> I'm still investigating some other speedups.
Ok, I have imrpoved a few methods and classes (Csn.isValid() is now 36
times faster, GeneralizedTime.normalize() is 5 times faster) and cleaned
up some code. As a result, we can read entries from a LDIF files 10% faster.

I'm currently working on stabilizing the build which is not passing, due
to some modifications made here and there (my fault), then the enxt step
for me would be to fix Ldap Studio, which badly needs a result. We have
modified the configuration schema, which results on some failures when
we try to load it, for instance. We also have to check the plugins we
use, as the GUI just crashes.

Any help in this area would be very welcome.