directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git ?
Date Sun, 29 Jun 2014 15:35:28 GMT
Le 29/06/2014 14:49, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 06/27/2014 01:02 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
>>> repository, that we can even use online as a real maven repository.
>>> Would Tycho solve this issue ?
> Yes, with Tycho we'd download the artifacts directly from the P2 repository.

So we defitively have to switch to Tycho...

>>> Otherwise, we can probably avoid migrating all the history, in order to
>>> avoid loading hundreds of megabytes.
> I'd be ok to drop history of the "repository" folder which contains all
> the binaries. But I really like to keep the full history of the source,
> this is essential when looking why things were implemented in a certain
> way, e.g. when fixing bugs.
Sure. The key is that anyone should be able to build from the sources.

However, I don't think we will face a pb here. We just have to migrate
all the sources from SVN to GIT, except the binaries, and we keep the
existing SVN content for those wanting to build the previous releases.
That should fly.

The question is : should we release Studio *before* going to Git ?

> so -1 to move Studio to git until we find a solution to keep the binary
> jars out of the repo.
> So we have to ask if it is possible to migrate subproject by subproject.
> Or we have to wait till Studio is cleaned up.
I don't think it's a problem to migrate only some subprojects. I'll
double check.