directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: Git ?
Date Sun, 29 Jun 2014 12:49:10 GMT
On 06/27/2014 01:02 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
>>> That’s indeed a big concern. I’d be tempted to have that in another
>> repository, that we can even use online as a real maven repository.
>>> Without requiring us to have it checked out on our computers.
>>
>> Would Tycho solve this issue ?

Yes, with Tycho we'd download the artifacts directly from the P2 repository.

>> Otherwise, we can probably avoid migrating all the history, in order to
>> avoid loading hundreds of megabytes.

I'd be ok to drop history of the "repository" folder which contains all
the binaries. But I really like to keep the full history of the source,
this is essential when looking why things were implemented in a certain
way, e.g. when fixing bugs.

>> In any case, at some point, we should find a way to access to those bins
>> by other means than having them in SVN. This is just overkilling.

+1

>> setting up Studio workspace is already complicated(I have recently tried
> but it is taking more time to setup
> than the time it took to implement a fix, so my fix is still lying there
> waiting to be tested)

If your patch is applied you can also run mvn install from command line,
the Studio binary for you platform should then be present in

application/application-<your
platform>/target/ApacheDirectoryStudio-<your platform>/

> so -1 to move Studio to git until we find a solution to keep the binary
> jars out of the repo.

So we have to ask if it is possible to migrate subproject by subproject.
Or we have to wait till Studio is cleaned up.

Kind Regards,
Stefan