directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git ?
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:01:08 GMT
Le 27/06/2014 09:41, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot a écrit :
> On 26 Jun 2014, at 20:41, Stefan Seelmann <mail@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>
>> On 06/26/2014 06:35 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> since the inception of the project, we are using Subversion (well, at
>>> the very begining, it was on CVS). We are all used to it, but I'm quite
>>> sure that most of us are also using Git on a side project.
>>>
>>> I'm a bit fed up of switching from Git to Svn, and back. I work a few
>>> weeks using SVN, then when I come back to Git, I have to read the doco
>>> again, because I don't remember all the fancy commands to use it
>>> efficiently. The very same things after a few weeks using Git.
>>>
>>> What about moving the full project to git ? Do you think it would be too
>>> much of a pain ?
>>>
>> I'm ok with it, but I can also live with svn.
> Same for me.
> Although I’m working more on Git these days, I’m still comfortable with SVN.
>
>> If we move we need to discuss the repo structure. Should we put the
>> whole svn into a single git repo (I think no) or create a git repo per
>> subproject (yes IMHO)?
> +1 for me too.

I would favor more than one repo.

>> We have many subprojects now (shared/api,
>> mavibot, jdbm, server, studio, escimo) which deserve its own git repo.
>> What about the smaller repos (parent-project, buildtools (is this still
>> required?) clients).
>> I think sandbox and deceased don't need to be
>> migrated, as SVN will still be available read-only.
> +1. Sounds reasonable too me.

+1

>> I have a small concern regarding the studio repo, as it includes
>> binaries from various Eclipse versions, the .git directory of the
>> current git-mirror is 700 MB. That means when cloning the studio git
>> repo on has to download the full 700 MB.
> That’s indeed a big concern. I’d be tempted to have that in another repository, that
we can even use online as a real maven repository.
> Without requiring us to have it checked out on our computers.

Would Tycho solve this issue ?

Otherwise, we can probably avoid migrating all the history, in order to
avoid loading hundreds of megabytes.

In any case, at some point, we should find a way to access to those bins
by other means than having them in SVN. This is just overkilling.

>> Other things to consider (not a complete list)
>> * Is there a mailing list integration for commits
>> * Maven release should work with git, update of <scm> section in POMs is
>> required
>> * Is there are a git alternative to viewvc, or just use github instead?
> +1 on those questions.
> Mina has move to git a few years (months) ago I guess, Emmanuel, are all these things
available yet?

- We have ML integrations for commits
- Maven release works just fine with Git
- you can check the previous commits :
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=mina.git;a=summary