directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: Git ?
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:41:29 GMT
On 06/26/2014 06:35 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> since the inception of the project, we are using Subversion (well, at
> the very begining, it was on CVS). We are all used to it, but I'm quite
> sure that most of us are also using Git on a side project.
>
> I'm a bit fed up of switching from Git to Svn, and back. I work a few
> weeks using SVN, then when I come back to Git, I have to read the doco
> again, because I don't remember all the fancy commands to use it
> efficiently. The very same things after a few weeks using Git.
>
> What about moving the full project to git ? Do you think it would be too
> much of a pain ?

I'm ok with it, but I can also live with svn.

If we move we need to discuss the repo structure. Should we put the
whole svn into a single git repo (I think no) or create a git repo per
subproject (yes IMHO)? We have many subprojects now (shared/api,
mavibot, jdbm, server, studio, escimo) which deserve its own git repo.
What about the smaller repos (parent-project, buildtools (is this still
required?) clients). I think sandbox and deceased don't need to be
migrated, as SVN will still be available read-only.

I have a small concern regarding the studio repo, as it includes
binaries from various Eclipse versions, the .git directory of the
current git-mirror is 700 MB. That means when cloning the studio git
repo on has to download the full 700 MB.

Other things to consider (not a complete list)
* Is there a mailing list integration for commits
* Maven release should work with git, update of <scm> section in POMs is
required
* Is there are a git alternative to viewvc, or just use github instead?

Kind Regards,
Stefan