directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Git ?
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2014 07:41:26 GMT
On 26 Jun 2014, at 20:41, Stefan Seelmann <mail@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> since the inception of the project, we are using Subversion (well, at
>> the very begining, it was on CVS). We are all used to it, but I'm quite
>> sure that most of us are also using Git on a side project.
>>
>> I'm a bit fed up of switching from Git to Svn, and back. I work a few
>> weeks using SVN, then when I come back to Git, I have to read the doco
>> again, because I don't remember all the fancy commands to use it
>> efficiently. The very same things after a few weeks using Git.
>>
>> What about moving the full project to git ? Do you think it would be too
>> much of a pain ?
>>

> I'm ok with it, but I can also live with svn.

Same for me.
Although I’m working more on Git these days, I’m still comfortable with SVN.

> If we move we need to discuss the repo structure. Should we put the
> whole svn into a single git repo (I think no) or create a git repo per
> subproject (yes IMHO)?

+1 for me too.

> We have many subprojects now (shared/api,
> mavibot, jdbm, server, studio, escimo) which deserve its own git repo.
> What about the smaller repos (parent-project, buildtools (is this still
> required?) clients).

> I think sandbox and deceased don't need to be
> migrated, as SVN will still be available read-only.

+1. Sounds reasonable too me.

> I have a small concern regarding the studio repo, as it includes
> binaries from various Eclipse versions, the .git directory of the
> current git-mirror is 700 MB. That means when cloning the studio git
> repo on has to download the full 700 MB.

That’s indeed a big concern. I’d be tempted to have that in another repository, that we
can even use online as a real maven repository.
Without requiring us to have it checked out on our computers.

> Other things to consider (not a complete list)
> * Is there a mailing list integration for commits
> * Maven release should work with git, update of <scm> section in POMs is
> required
> * Is there are a git alternative to viewvc, or just use github instead?

+1 on those questions.
Mina has move to git a few years (months) ago I guess, Emmanuel, are all these things available
yet?

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud