directory-dev mailing list archives

From Lucas Theisen <lucasthei...@pastdev.com>
Subject Unit tests for ldap api classes
Date Sat, 03 May 2014 16:45:24 GMT
Hi All,

I am working on LdapConnectionTemplate (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRAPI-163) and am not quite sure
where to put unit tests.  It appears that none of the ldap api artifacts
depend on apacheds server artifacts.  I am wondering if this is a hard
requirement?  And if so, how do you test the functionality of your apis?
It seems that one of the major benefits of an embeddable server like
apacheds is that it can be used for unit tests, but if we cannot even use
it for our own unit tests...

I know I could put some tests in server-integ, but that seems very wrong
for testing new ldap api features.  If this is because of circular
dependencies (server depends on api, so api cannot depend on server), then
perhaps we should refactor.  Maybe move the truly shared stuff (like model
and what not) into a shared library, and all the api stuff (like
connections) into another.  What do you think?

Thanks,
Lucas