directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unit tests for ldap api classes
Date Mon, 05 May 2014 03:56:10 GMT
On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 1:57 AM, Lucas Theisen <lucastheisen@pastdev.com>wrote:

> My original proposal was to
>
> 1: Join the client and the tests for the client.
> 2: Organize the code
>
> As to item 1, there is great value in that.  You can build the module on
> its own and have assurance that it is correct.  As it stands right now, you
> have to build/install the client, then remember to build the server to run
> the unit tests to verify that it worked.  That feels really wonky.  As to
> item 2, just guessing from the folder

right, but here, it sounds strange cause you are only working on the client
(at least in this case, I assume).
Here, having a the -test module next to -client might look convenient but
it doesn't change the fact that
you cannot run the tests while building the client, it has to be a two step
process i.e.,

       1. build all the code related to client API
       2. cd to -tests module to run the tests

these two cannot be combined to run under a single maven build command,
cause -tests need server and
server depends on client API.

otoh, it is very important to verify that server works after changes made
to client API, cause parts of server
code heavily depends on this client code, e.g. replication subsystem, core
and server integration tests etc.,

So, this is mandatory to check that server build succeeds after making
changes to client, this is the reason
why we(the guys who have been working on server from quite sometime ;)
don't see the need for moving
 -tests next to -client module.

--
Kiran Ayyagari