On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:
Alex Karasulu wrote:
    Now, this is an approach where we used plain Keys (ie, Keys can have
    various sizes, which is not really efficient, as we may have to
    allocate more pages than necessary to store nodes and leaves.
    Open LDAP uses another approach, which is smarter : they use the hash
    value of each key to retrieve the element. Obviously, this leads to
    compare the keys when we reach the leaf, as we may have more than one
    key with the same hash value, and it also destroys the ordering (one
    can't compare two hash values as the ordering will be different) but
    most of the case, it's not really a big deal.
    The main advantage of such an approach is that suddenly, Nodes have a
    fixed size (a hash can be stored as an int, and the references to a
    page are longs), so in a fixed page size, we can store a fixed number
    of elements. Assuming that a node needs at least 28 bytes to store its
    header and PageIO, in a 512 bytes page we can store (512 - 28) /
    ((nbValues+1) x (8+8) + nbKeys x 4 ) elements, so 16 keys (64 bytes)
    and 17 values (272 bytes). We hve 148 bytes remaining in this case.
    Atm, we store 16 element per node, which requires many physical pages,
    ie, many disk access.

    This is something that worth being investigated in the near future.

Sounds like we need a minimal perfect order preserving hash function.

These are a pain to try to use for this purpose. All of the perfect order preserving hashes I've found only work because you generate the hash function based on knowing the entire set of data in advance. When you add new records you need to create a new hash function, and thus the hash values of every key changed.

I.e., these are only useful for static data sets.

That's lame ... no silver bullets I guess.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex