On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Alex Karasulu <email@example.com> wrote:Yes, except the network layer (which is irrelevant in this test). Also
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>> now that the mavibot partition is working, here a quick bench I ran this
>> morning :
>> Addition of 10 000 entries, then 400 000 random searches :
>> 10000 : Add = 74/s, Search : 4 729/s
>> 10000 : Add = 120/s, Search : 11 056/s
>> As we can see, Mavibot is 2,1 x faster for additions, and 2,33 x faster
>> for searches... Will run a test with 100 000 entries.
> Is this benchmark involving the entire network ADS stack?
note that they are run on my poor laptop.
The last results I get are the following :
1000 : Add = 56/s, Search = 14 845/s
1000 : Add = 111/s, Search = 17 586/s
10000 : Add = 57/s, Search = 4 729/s
10000 : Add = 120/s, Search = 11 056/s
50000 : Add = 51/s, Search = 3 515/s
50000 : Add = 134/s, Search = 10335/s
Note that if we hit the disk (ie, teh cache and memory is not big
enough), then the performances get down immediately :
100000 : Add = 44/s, Search = 2 957/s
100000 : Add = 100/s, Search = 3 308/s
This is even more visible for Mavibot than for JDBM, most certainly
due to the cache we are using in Mavibot (EhCach) which is probably
overkilling compared to the very basic but efficient LRU used by JDBM.
Enough said that given enough memory, Mavibot in its current state (i.e.
we are still using locks all over, as the revisions are not yet
implemented) is already more than 2x faster for additions and 3x
faster for searches...
This is not the end of the story though. There are many possible
optimizations in Mavibot :
- first of all, remove the locks that block concurrent access in
searches (but that requires the handling of revisions in Mavibot,
which is just a matter of implementing the free page collection)
- second, we are doing way too many findPos (probably two times more
than needed). We can get rid of this.
Now, this is an approach where we used plain Keys (ie, Keys can have
various sizes, which is not really efficient, as we may have to
allocate more pages than necessary to store nodes and leaves.
Open LDAP uses another approach, which is smarter : they use the hash
value of each key to retrieve the element. Obviously, this leads to
compare the keys when we reach the leaf, as we may have more than one
key with the same hash value, and it also destroys the ordering (one
can't compare two hash values as the ordering will be different) but
most of the case, it's not really a big deal.
The main advantage of such an approach is that suddenly, Nodes have a
fixed size (a hash can be stored as an int, and the references to a
page are longs), so in a fixed page size, we can store a fixed number
of elements. Assuming that a node needs at least 28 bytes to store its
header and PageIO, in a 512 bytes page we can store (512 - 28) /
((nbValues+1) x (8+8) + nbKeys x 4 ) elements, so 16 keys (64 bytes)
and 17 values (272 bytes). We hve 148 bytes remaining in this case.
Atm, we store 16 element per node, which requires many physical pages,
ie, many disk access.
This is something that worth being investigated in the near future.