directory-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Radtke <prad...@stanford.edu>
Subject eSCIMo and generalizing resources
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 21:44:13 GMT
I wanted to start working on/with the eSCIMo project.
I'm interested in how to use it for adding resources besides User and Group.

The current ProviderService interface has Resource specific methods for
Users any Groups (e.g getUser(), patchGroup()). The SCIM specification
allows for additional resources to be defined - either within the realm
of the spec, or by the service provider.
In an ideal world, I would be able to add these additional resources by
extending ServerResource and implementing a resource specific provider
interface, and the rest of the Server implementation would be generic
enough to "just work". Currently that is not the case, and the server
implementation assumes User and Group resources.

I think it may make sense to generalize ProviderService so that
implementation would be both Resource and Backend specific. As example,
implementations could be like:
  LdapUserResourceProvider - a User resource that is provide from ldap
  XmlGroupResourceProvider - a group resource that is provided from an
xml file
  JpaPizzaResourceProvider - a Pizza resource that comes from a DB

Then  at the RESTful server level, instead of defining resource specific
endpoints like GroupService and UserService, a generic ResourceService
could determine the corresponding resource specific ProvderService
implementation based on the URL. For example, if ResourceService saw
/Users/123 it could user the string "Users" to look up in a factory, or
a map the correct ProviderService.

What do people think? Other ideas?

thanks,

Patrick