directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Search performance potential improvements
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 11:27:53 GMT
On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I just came back from a short week of excellent vacations, and I spent
> the last two days looking at the search operation.
>
> Just before I left, I thought that the entry was cloned for no reason.
> The fact is that we do modify the entry before returning it, so we must
> modify a copy of the cached entry, otherwise we can have some really
> nasty bugs in other parts (the entry is cached, so we can't simply
> modify it).
>
> OTOH, I discovered that we do a costly check in the
> DefaultSearchEngine.computeResults() method : we check if the search
> BaseDN is an alias by looking into the Alias index. Not doing this check
> imrpove the performance for around 15%. I'm pretty sure we can avoid
> looking into the index, as soon as we already have a cache of the
> existing aliases. The pb is that it's just a cache, and if the alias is
> not in the cache, we have to fetch the alias index. This become a pb
> when we have a lot of aliases, something unlikely to happen.
>
> how about setting a limit on the number of aliases that will be held in
the cache
and we store all the aliases in this cache, if the alias cache has less
than this limit we
don't need to look into the index (i.e we will always have all the aliases
in memory)
(here the assumption is that most server installations will have less
aliases than
the given threshold)

--
Kiran Ayyagari