directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cache and partitions...
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 07:15:51 GMT
Le 9/9/13 8:22 AM, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 09/09/2013 07:52 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> Le 9/9/13 7:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny a écrit :
>>> Le 9/9/13 4:46 AM, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
>>>
>>> I suggest we focus on decoupling the cacheService we have from it's
>>> EhCache implementation atm, so that the API is not to be odified after
>>> the next release, and that's it. I also suggest to make this
>>> CacheService available in the Partitions, even if it's not used.
>>>
>>> again, IMO plugging in this kind of mechanism may not be of great help,
> I agree that we should have a interface to be able to change the cache
> implementation. I think ehcache is the default choice today, but it's
> not just a simple in-memory cache but a huge product with tons of features.
>
>> FTR :
>>
>> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-jcs/JCSvsEHCache.html
>>
>> *"JCS proved to be nearly twice as fast as EHCache * in multiple trials
>> for both puts and gets"
>>
>> And it's an Apache project ;-)
>>
> Just a small note regarding performance of ehcache: it keeps lot of
> statistics (hit rate, miss rate, etc.), and before version 2.1 they were
> enabled by default which costs significant performance.

probably... We are currently using 2.4.4, we could switch to 2.7.4.

OTOH, I checked the JCS code, and it's also heavily synchronized. I
think we should compare the performances of the google
concurrentLinkedMap against the two other implementations. Also note
that JCS still uses 1.4 code base, and depends on Doug Lea code (the
code that was injected in 1.5). There is a on going effort to port JCS
to 1.5, but it's far from being done.

Thanks !

--
Regards,