directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: Cache and partitions...
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 06:22:48 GMT
On 09/09/2013 07:52 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 9/9/13 7:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny a écrit :
>> Le 9/9/13 4:46 AM, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
>>
>> I suggest we focus on decoupling the cacheService we have from it's
>> EhCache implementation atm, so that the API is not to be odified after
>> the next release, and that's it. I also suggest to make this
>> CacheService available in the Partitions, even if it's not used.
>>
>> again, IMO plugging in this kind of mechanism may not be of great help,
>>> just more work
>>> on a feature that may never be used, I believe Ehcache is the best
>>> available cache with
>>> the compatible license and unless we try to write our own we don't need
>>> this new feature

I agree that we should have a interface to be able to change the cache
implementation. I think ehcache is the default choice today, but it's
not just a simple in-memory cache but a huge product with tons of features.

> FTR :
>
> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-jcs/JCSvsEHCache.html
>
> *"JCS proved to be nearly twice as fast as EHCache * in multiple trials
> for both puts and gets"
>
> And it's an Apache project ;-)

Just a small note regarding performance of ehcache: it keeps lot of
statistics (hit rate, miss rate, etc.), and before version 2.1 they were
enabled by default which costs significant performance.

Kind Regards,
Stefan