directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Next steps...
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2013 09:47:57 GMT
On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> --------
> o Make Mavibot a first class partition (althouh still experimental). It
> should be possible for anyone to configure the server so that the
> partition uses either JDBM or Mavibot, without having to use any weird
> JVM options. This is a work in progress, Kiran already pushed some code
> that makes it possible to declare a Mavibot partition.
> o Avoid the cloning of entries we are returning
> o Check the bug list and fix the low hanging fruits
>
> Mavibot
> -------
> o make the handling of multiple values more performant. We shuld define
> a threshold after which we use a subBtree, instead of creating a
> subBtree everytime
> o improve the performance of writes : we are updating the BTree headers
> and teh RM headers after each phisical page update, whihc is adding
> ahuge penalty
> o complete the bulk load implementation
>
> API
> ---
> Not too much in this area. We are close to completion, at least for 1.0.
> The doco is still really poor...
>
> Studio
> ------
> o Add the support of ADS 2.0-RC1
> o Add support of Mavibot partition
>
> That's all for the short term tasks, as I can see them. I may have
> missed some, so please complete this list.
>
> Otherwise, in a middle term vision, we have many areas where we can
> improve the server and the other projects :
>
> ApacheDS
> --------
> o switch to MINA 3
> o review the way we handle writes : we should wait for the messageSent
> event before writing a new message, otherwise we cumulate them in memory
> o review the encoding part : using a pre-allocated buffer stored in a
> ThreadLocal storage would save us some CPU cycle, as we could get rid of
> the allocation of a buffer
> o review the ACI subsystem
> o fix the administrative model, which is not complete
> o add the delta-syncrepl protocol for the MMR subsystem
> o implement the missing LDAP entities (NameForm, DCR, DSR, MRU...)
> o make the server OSGi compliant
> o ditch JDBM as a backend
> o get rid of most of the locks used for JDBM
>
> API
> ---
> o implement the missing LDAP entities (NameForm, DCR, DSR, MRU...)
> o implement a better support for some other server schema (OpenLDAP,
> OpenDJ, AD, etc)
>
> Mavibot
> -------
> o implement the transaction support
> o manage MVCC free pages
> o add a checker and a fixer after a crash
>
> Studio
> ------
> o go for a full web based Studio
> o add configuration support for other servers
>

> This list is just limited, again, please add the items you think it's

you have covered everything :)
o I would like to get eSCIMo done before 2.0 gets released (though this is
not
   included in ApacheDS distribution there will be support for easily
including eSCIMo as a webapp)
o there is some interest in having DHCP support in ApacheDS we might need
to look
   into that post 2.0

--
Kiran Ayyagari