directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <>
Subject Performance improvements
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2013 20:13:40 GMT

as I'm in the train with not much internet connection, I spent some time
trying to squeeze some more performances from the server.

The last version gave me the following results

Mavibot 10K entries
Add : 79s, 127/s
Search : 8964/s

Jdbm 10k entries
Add : 173s, 58/s
Search : 958/s

This is for the Core session test.

I have improved the way we do comparisons on the server. In trunk, we
always try to normalize any value (from the backend and from the
filter), even if thy both have been normalized before in any case. So I
added a flag in the NormalizingComparator which is set when this
coparator is used on the server, so that the comparison is done wth no
normalization at all. The gain is clear :

Mavibot 10K entries
Add : 76s, 132/s (+4%, not significant)
Search : 12 927/s (+44%)

Jdbm 10k entries
Add : 172s, 58/s
Search : 993/s (+4%)

As we can see, JDBM has a lot of trouble to cope with searches, whatever
we do. OTOH, Mavibot gain is spectacular, with a 44% improvement.

I'm profiling with this modification to see what's the next bottleneck.

More to come...

Emmanuel L├ęcharny

View raw message