directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some idea to speedup the search...
Date Thu, 16 May 2013 15:00:01 GMT
On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecharny@symas.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> as I profiled the server yesterday, I got some interesting results for a
> Lookup operation :
> - 30% is spent in the cloning of the entry we fetch from the backend
> - 11% is spent in the filtering of AT we don't want to send back to the
> user
> - 16% is spent in the creation of the DN
>
> We already have discussed extensively about the idea to write a wrapper
> around the backend entries, which gather the actions to apply to AT,
> instead of cloning the full entry. This is definitively something we
> want to experiment later
>
> I had another idea : creating an UUID -> DN cache. The only issue we
> have is when we process a MODDN operation, because we ay have to
> invalidate a lot of elements from the cache. But all in all, why don't
> we simply invalidate the whole cache when the MODDN operation is
> processed ? ALl in all, a MODDN operation is not that frequent, and we
> just lose the cache...
> In the day to day operation, the gain will be just huge, for a very
> limitd amount of work...

we already do the same in external entry cache, here all entries will
contain the complet DN (unlike just RDN in those stored in the partition
store)
so if an entry is in this cache then we just return the entry without
building the DN
the new proposed cache will be helpful when we move to mavibot, which will
be fast enough to avoid the current external entry cache

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com