directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@symas.com>
Subject Some idea to speedup the search...
Date Thu, 16 May 2013 14:26:07 GMT
Hi guys,

as I profiled the server yesterday, I got some interesting results for a
Lookup operation :
- 30% is spent in the cloning of the entry we fetch from the backend
- 11% is spent in the filtering of AT we don't want to send back to the user
- 16% is spent in the creation of the DN

We already have discussed extensively about the idea to write a wrapper
around the backend entries, which gather the actions to apply to AT,
instead of cloning the full entry. This is definitively something we
want to experiment later

I had another idea : creating an UUID -> DN cache. The only issue we
have is when we process a MODDN operation, because we ay have to
invalidate a lot of elements from the cache. But all in all, why don't
we simply invalidate the whole cache when the MODDN operation is
processed ? ALl in all, a MODDN operation is not that frequent, and we
just lose the cache...
In the day to day operation, the gain will be just huge, for a very
limitd amount of work...

thoughts ?