Hi Jess!

The problem here is that that Groovy LDAP uses JNDI under the hood. The same probem would occur with JNDI.
See: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/jndi/tutorial/ldap/misc/attrs.html (to be more precise: "Specifying Additional Nonstring Attributes")

Groovy LDAP works fine with binary attributes which are binary for JNDI by default (e.g. jpegphoto). "image" is not in the list, you have to add it manually.
In JNDI, you would set a property to specify which attributes are binary:

env.put("java.naming.ldap.attributes.binary", "image");
Later create JNDI InitialContext with env

The problem is that LDAP Groovy hides the creation of both the env and InitialContexts.

I see two (fast) options:
a) change Groovy LDAP source by yourself and add the env property in class LDAP (file LDAP.java, method createEnvironment())
b) add a jndi.properties file to the classpath, which would be mixed with the env Groovy LDAP uses

content of the file for b) only one line:

java.naming.ldap.attributes.binary=image

Please let me know if workaround b) works for you, or if you need more help.
We can add a feature to Groovy LDAP for that, which would make perfect sense to me.

Greetings from Hamburg,
    StefanZ