directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Documentation navigation
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:48:39 GMT
Hi guys,

as we are working on the documentation, we would like to know which kind
of navigation would be the most pleasant.

We have to possibilities to navigate into the doc, assuming that we have
previous/Next/Up links

1) We can make the link to always point to the next page in the doco,
whether it's on a upper or lower level

2) Or we can force the prev/next navigation to remain on the same level.

Let me explain with an example. Here is a possible doco with 3 levels :

1
  1.1
     1.1.1
     1.1.2
  1.2
     1.2.1
2
  2.1
  2.2
3

If we adopt the (1) type of navigation, then the 'next' link will move
to the pages this way : 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2, 1.2.1, 2, 2.1, 2.2, 3
If we adopt the (2) solution, then doing a 'next' on page 1 will drive
you to page 2, then to page 3. You have to go down to page 1.1 to be
able to navigate to page 1.2 etc.

What do you prefer ?

--
Regards,