directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: Retrieving binary data from LDAP server using Groovy
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 14:55:30 GMT
Hi Jess!

The problem here is that that Groovy LDAP uses JNDI under the hood. The
same probem would occur with JNDI.
See: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/jndi/tutorial/ldap/misc/attrs.html
(to be more precise: "Specifying Additional Nonstring Attributes")

Groovy LDAP works fine with binary attributes which are binary for JNDI
by default (e.g. jpegphoto). "image" is not in the list, you have to add
it manually.
In JNDI, you would set a property to specify which attributes are binary:

env.put("java.naming.ldap.attributes.binary", "image");
Later create JNDI InitialContext with env

The problem is that LDAP Groovy hides the creation of both the env and
InitialContexts.

I see two (fast) options:
a) change Groovy LDAP source by yourself and add the env property in
class LDAP (file LDAP.java, method createEnvironment())
b) add a jndi.properties file to the classpath, which would be mixed
with the env Groovy LDAP uses

content of the file for b) only one line:

java.naming.ldap.attributes.binary=image

Please let me know if workaround b) works for you, or if you need more help.
We can add a feature to Groovy LDAP for that, which would make perfect
sense to me.

Greetings from Hamburg,
     StefanZ