directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Value rewrite experiment
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 09:11:14 GMT
Damn. Too bad... :(

Hope we can find other areas to improve.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud


On 28 févr. 2013, at 14:32, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> 
> yesterday, while I was cutting a release, I wanted to play with some
> idea I had a few years ago : make all the Value storing byte[] instead
> of having a dichotomy between StringValue and BinaryValue.
> 
> I created a new branch for taht, and started to code. Today, I realize
> that due to the enormous impact it would have on our code base, it's
> probably not a good idea to go any further :
> - the PrepareString function depends heavily on Strings and Unicode, it
> would be painful to make it work with UTF-8. Not to mention we have to
> go through this method for every string we receive.
> - The DN and RDN are also heavily depending on String
> - the gain won't be enormous : once converted, serializing a String on
> disk is just a matter of storing some few extra informations.
> 
> Sooooo, I decided to stop there.
> 
> FUI.
> 
> -- 
> Regards,
> Cordialement,
> Emmanuel Lécharny
> www.iktek.com 
> 


Mime
View raw message