directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Backend improvements
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:39:30 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

On 16 févr. 2013, at 11:19, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:

> Proposal
> --------
>
> IMO, we should investigate JDBM4 asap. It might solve many of the issues
> we have, at a low price. Improving the existing JDBM is just a waste of
> our precious time.

+1

> I the long term, I would favor Mavibot for a couple of reasons :
> - first, it's a MVCC base, so we can conduct concurrent searches and
> modifications (although we can't do many modifications at the same time).
> - second, we have a complete understanding of the code : we wrote it.
> It's easier to understand the impact of the modifications we hve done on it.
> - third, we can have a dedicated backend based on the current Mavibot
> code, where all the data are in memory (that would work with a few tens
> of thousands entries, and the performances will be blazing fast).

+1.

Although, Mavibot may be a little bit unstable at first since it's a really new project with
not a lot of people using it at the moment.

But in the long run, it looks like a really good candidate for what we need to do.
If there's enough RAM available I like the idea of the in-memory partition. :)

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud