directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Value rewrite experiment
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:32:56 GMT
Hi guys,

yesterday, while I was cutting a release, I wanted to play with some
idea I had a few years ago : make all the Value storing byte[] instead
of having a dichotomy between StringValue and BinaryValue.

I created a new branch for taht, and started to code. Today, I realize
that due to the enormous impact it would have on our code base, it's
probably not a good idea to go any further :
- the PrepareString function depends heavily on Strings and Unicode, it
would be painful to make it work with UTF-8. Not to mention we have to
go through this method for every string we receive.
- The DN and RDN are also heavily depending on String
- the gain won't be enormous : once converted, serializing a String on
disk is just a matter of storing some few extra informations.

Sooooo, I decided to stop there.

FUI.

-- 
Regards,
Cordialement,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com 


Mime
View raw message