directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Deploying the maven generated site
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:17:34 GMT
Hi Stefan,

On 10 févr. 2013, at 23:31, Stefan Seelmann <mail@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have a question regarding the maven generated site of our projects. As
> far as I see we don't generate and deploy them currently. For the API
> there is only a recent API doc online [1]. The <distMgmtSiteUrl> in the
> pom.xml files point to
> scpexe://people.apache.org/www/directory.apache.org/[project]/gen-docs
> which does not exist.
>
> My questions:
> - Do we want to deploy the maven generated sites, including the java docs?

Except the javadocs for the API and ApacheDS, I wouldn't deploy anything else on the "new
website infrastructure".

> - For which projects (API, ApacheDS, Studio) does it make sense?

To me, only API and ApacheDS, which are projects that can be used/embedded within other applications.
I don't think it really make sense for Studio which is a GUI tool.

> - If yes, am I right that we can scp the generated site to
> scpexe://people.apache.org/www/directory.apache.org/[project]/content/gen-docs?

Since the move to the "new website infrastructure", things are much more complicated with
the use of multiple SVN repository (development, staging, production).
That's why I think we should only generates and upload javadocs for the API and ApacheDS on
the website.

On the infrastructure ML, I think I remember having seen a discussion where the projects could
use the CI Builds to generate and host all the reports on those machines.
If we really want to generate reports, which can be really be helpful sometimes, I'd recommend
we follow this route.
I'll try to find the corresponding ML thread and post the link here.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud