directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Detecting staled replicas
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 06:53:51 GMT
Le 1/14/13 5:25 AM, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm currently working on a system to detect the staled replicas (ie
>> replicas that have been once connected, disconnected, and haven't be
>> reconnected, or have tried to reconnect with an empty cookie).
>>
>> The idea is to create a thread associated with the LdapServer that
>> periodically check all the registered replicas, and discard those whic
>> have not been read for more than a period of time. I was thinking that
>> checking every hour, and discarding all the replicas that are 2 days
>> behind would be enough (the suggested values are the default values, it
>> will be configurable, of course).
>> Detecting that a replica has not been read for more than N days is just
>> a matter of reading the oldest modification it stores in its associated
>> Journal.
>>
>> what I would like to see is a policy per replica rather than single policy
> for all replicas
> initially we apply the default values when a log gets created but we allow
> the admin
> to change them if needed. We need two new configuration ATs in the config
> schema
> to map the time and/or count based detection.

We can do that. I foresee a three layer level of configuration then :
- default values (hard coded, currently 7 days and one hour)
- per server configuration, overriding the default values (stored in the
LDAPServer entry in the DIT)
- per replica configuration overriding the server value (stored in each
replica in ou=consumers)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,