directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replication configuration
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 05:16:56 GMT
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Emmanuel LĂ©charny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have some questions about the replication configuration...
>
> AFAICT, we may configure the server to be a consumer, a producer, both
> of them, or none of them.
>
> A standalone server will not be a producer or a consumer
> A master server will be a producer
> A slave server will be a consummer
> A master/slave server will be a producer and a consumer
>
> In any case, a server will always be able to be a producer as soon as it
> allows another server to connect on it as a consumer, and get
> replicated, so for a server to be a producer is just a matter of
> receiving a consumer request.
>
> Am I right ?

yes
> I'm asking because I added a flag that allow a server to become a
> producer on demand as soon as the ads-replicationEnabled flag is set to
> true (this flag is used to start the replication handler when the server
> is started). Does it makes sense to keep this flag ? Or should we always
> start the replication handler ?

prior to this flag we have always looked for the presence of
ads-replReqHandler attribute
if it exists we instantiate this class and the server acts as a provider/master
> I'm inclined to think that teh flag is a good thing to have. wdyt ?

If the above attribute's absence can be treated as a 'false' value so
IMHO this flag is spurious in a way

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com