directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replication configuration
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 05:54:25 GMT
Le 11/14/12 6:16 AM, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I have some questions about the replication configuration...
>>
>> AFAICT, we may configure the server to be a consumer, a producer, both
>> of them, or none of them.
>>
>> A standalone server will not be a producer or a consumer
>> A master server will be a producer
>> A slave server will be a consummer
>> A master/slave server will be a producer and a consumer
>>
>> In any case, a server will always be able to be a producer as soon as it
>> allows another server to connect on it as a consumer, and get
>> replicated, so for a server to be a producer is just a matter of
>> receiving a consumer request.
>>
>> Am I right ?
>>
> yes
>> I'm asking because I added a flag that allow a server to become a
>> producer on demand as soon as the ads-replicationEnabled flag is set to
>> true (this flag is used to start the replication handler when the server
>> is started). Does it makes sense to keep this flag ? Or should we always
>> start the replication handler ?
>>
> prior to this flag we have always looked for the presence of
> ads-replReqHandler attribute
> if it exists we instantiate this class and the server acts as a provider/master
>> I'm inclined to think that teh flag is a good thing to have. wdyt ?
>>
> If the above attribute's absence can be treated as a 'false' value so
> IMHO this flag is spurious in a way

The reason I added it is that without it, we will either require that
the user add the replication handler FQCN (not very simple to find it),
or to start the handler automatically using the defaumt value. I don't
find both solution very convenient.

I would rather question the fact that the replicaton handler is loaded
using its FQCN : why don't we just have a boolean flag, and nothing else
? (if the flag is true, we laod the default handler)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,