directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: Why is uid=admin present in ou=system ?
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 19:01:42 GMT
On 23.10.2012 13:13, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi Kiran,
>
> On 23 oct. 2012, at 12:05, Kiran Ayyagari <kayyagari@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> yeap, like we just discussed, we can certainly do that, the two things
>> that immediately come to my mind are
>>
>> 1. the impact of such a change in the code
>
> It can be important, I haven't checked yet.

<smartass>
$ cd apacheds
$ find . -name "*.java" | xargs grep "uid=admin,ou=system" | wc -l
200
$ find . -name "*.java" | xargs grep "ou=system" | wc -l
2743

Seems to be a good opportunity to define a constant and to follow the
DRY rule ;-)
</smartass>

>> 2. and the number of existing installations that will break because of
>> this change
>
> These are the exact number of existing installations that are going to break when going
from server.xml to config.ldif.
> 1.5.x and 2.x installation will never be upgradable out of the box.
> Since we breaking things, let's be consistent and try to gather all the configuration
in a single location.

> Software is about change. We would never go beyond the 1.0 mark if everything was set
in stone forever.

+1

Nothing prevents our users to create an ou=system partition and
uid=admin user.

Kind Regards,
Stefan