directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1395286 - in /directory/apacheds/trunk/core-integ/src/test/java/org/apache/directory/server/core: authn/ authn/ppolicy/ authz/ jndi/ operations/add/ suites/
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2012 15:22:48 GMT
Hi Stefan ! Glad to see you around :)

Le 10/7/12 3:03 PM, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 07.10.2012 14:26, elecharny@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: elecharny
>> Date: Sun Oct  7 12:26:32 2012
>> New Revision: 1395286

>> Log:
>> Added a sysout to know which test is being processed (it's useful when running the
suite, as the tests are quite long)

>> Modified:
>>      directory/apacheds/trunk/core-integ/src/test/java/org/apache/directory/server/core/suites/MigratedStockCoreISuite.java
>>      directory/apacheds/trunk/core-integ/src/test/java/org/apache/directory/server/core/suites/StockCoreISuite.java
> Maybe a dumb question but why not just remove the suites completely?
What I'm doing currently is to migrate the JNDI suites to use the API
instead (but keeping the pure JNDI tests just to be sure that we still
can access to the server using JNDI) to the Migrated suite. Once done,
I'll remove the StockCoreISuite. But this is a bit orthogonal to your
question...

The reason we have the suite is because we can define some suite related
server, instead of having to declare that for every single class. At
least, this was the rational. Is it still useful ? That's
questionable... See later.

> In pom.xml I replaced the current inclusion of the suites:
>
> -                <include>**/*ISuite.java</include>
> +                <include>**/*IT.java</include>
> +                <include>**/*Test.java</include>
>
> The result:
> * The build of core-integ does not take longer, rather it is some
> seconds faster!
> * 711 tests were run instead of 684 when using the suites, so it seems
> some test classes are missing in the suite classes.
Once upon a time, the IT tests were only ran when you use the
'integration' profile (thus the -Dintegration parameter in the command
line).

I'm not sure this is a good idea to have this flag anymore : all those
tests are mandatory, and needed to be sure that the server works, and I
personally always use this flag *before* committing.

So, IMO, we may make this a default build profile, and run all the tests
as you declared them (ie the double include).

I'd like to push it a bit further : do we *really* need the suite system
at all ? I mean, we want to be able to run one test or another in
eclipse while debugging, so everything we declare in a suite annotation
will just be overriden by the annotations we have in each tests : this
make it doubtful that the suite annotations are useful at all... Not to
mention that it makes the annotation's handling way more simple if we
don't have to handle the suites...

Thoughst ?

--
Regards,