directory-dev mailing list archives

From Göktürk Gezer <gokturk.ge...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about Replication of Config Partition and Schema Partition
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:38:15 GMT
On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> Le 7/14/12 9:13 PM, Göktürk Gezer a écrit :
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> Here i share my findings on LDAP replication in terms of OSGI layer.
>>
>>     - First of all i found nothing related to replicating configuration of
>>
>>     LDAP Server on any RFC related to replication. So replicating
>> configuration
>>     is only ApacheDS's concern because it keeps its configuration as DIT
>> data.
>>
> Absolutely. RFC 4533 says nothing about how to implement replication nor
> how to manage the replication configuration.

Means more room for better management !

>      I don't know OpenLDAP yet but don't think its the same, right?
>>
> It's clearly different, but not that much.
>

>  And i
>>     believe we shouldn't let administrators to initiate replication under
>>     ou=config base. It is not standart and it is not wise.
>>
> The ida we had was to manage configuration using an Administrative Area.
> This is not yet implemented though, so we ended up with managing
> replication under ou=config atm.

I believe ou=config serves the purpose more or less.

>  Simply replicating
>>     configuration will first break the replication aggreement between
>> servers
>>     anyway ! You should set some filters on config partition entries to
>> whether
>>     replicate them, but this would be improper in terms of design IMO.
>>
> Whe you setup replication, you tell the local server with which remote
> server you want to replicate. Obviously, you don't want to replicate such
> localized information. Now, you can still consider that we share a global
> configuration between all the servers, in which you just name each server,
> with the assoictaed informations (IP, port, etc), and now you can setup a
> replication mechanism in which you express each configration using thoses
> names. For instance, if you have 3 servers A, B and C, you may have the
> shared configuration where A -r> B, B-r> C, B-r>A. This configuration can
> be replicated as is on , B and C, because each server will now which
> replication is of interest to itself.

Apache ZooKeeper would provide so much help for these kind of scenarious.

>      - But i'm not against on replicating configuration completely. Some
>> one
>>
>>     would want to simply clone the server in its entirety. ( This is not
>>     touched by RFC as i see ) Because our OSGI distribution is Karaf
>> based, we
>>     can use Karaf Cellar here. Cellar is used to keep multiple Karaf
>> instances
>>     synched in terms of Bundles,Features, and Configuration.(We can't use
>> its
>>     configuration aspects because we're keeping our component
>> configurations in
>>     ApacheDS itself). I quickly looked through its functionality and
>> code. It's
>>     incomplete but promising. Most importantly it provides API to initiate
>>     Karaf Instance replication.(Again not complete). So when replication
>> system
>>     is revisited we can make use of Cellar.
>>     - I looked at Apache ZooKeeeper a bit, and we should definetely
>> leverage
>>
>>     it in our LDAP replication system. It is simply a distributed data and
>>     notification system for clusters. It has strength in node management
>> in
>>     clusters and good for implementing infrastructure related parts of
>>     replication system.
>>
>> So i see no threat to OSGI from LDAP Replication. However i believe
>> ou=config should be excluded from replication in any scenario.
>>
> Not sure.

Not completely as i say, they must be controlled through other repliccation
system. I say they shouldn't be managed by LDAP replication, because as i
said: 2 server having the same configuration are not have to have same
runtime behaviour because of the different bundle configurations.

>    I believe if
>> we're gonna provide some way to replicate some ApacheDS instance's runtime
>> layout, we should not do it by LDAP Replication. Because :
>>
>>     - It is not just config partition manages the server anymore.
>>     - We just can't be sure that 2 server having the same configuration
>> will
>>
>>     have same runtime behavior, because they might have different
>> composition
>>     of bundles.
>>     - Replicating ou=config is hell of a job because of site specific
>>     configuration parameters.
>>
> Unless the server can detect which configuration applies to itself.
>
> Bottom line, there are a very litte set of information a server needs to
> keep local :
> - its IP address
> - its port
> - its name
>
> The name will be used to identify the configuration that applies to the
> local server.

I don't believe simply keeping those 3 information local will help to make
replicating configuration information across multiple nodes consistent.
When thinking in terms of some system, there will be always some more local
configuration points other than IP/port/hostname IMO.