directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about Replication of Config Partition and Schema Partition
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 22:28:52 GMT
On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

>        - But i'm not against on replicating configuration completely. Some

>>>  Not completely as i say, they must be controlled through other
>> repliccation
>> system. I say they shouldn't be managed by LDAP replication, because as i
>> said: 2 server having the same configuration are not have to have same
>> runtime behaviour because of the different bundle configurations.
>>
> Two servers can't have the same configuration, otherwise we have a problem
> !
>
> There are very few informations that are not to be replicated, because
> they belongs to the local server (the three I mentionned : IP, port, and
> name). That means we need to find a better way to store those informations.
> And if we store them in the DIT, then this part of the DIT must *not* be
> replicated.

Partial and fractional replication will come in handy here where we say
this attribute or this entry does not get replicated and it does not. That
simple.

> If this is what you were thinking of, then yes, I'm on the same page. May
> be we should put thos information somewhere else than on the ou=config sub
> tree (root DSE ?). We could specifically address those points.

That's not something I'm feeling good about. We're going to change how we
laid down the organization of configurations just for replication?
Replication needs to advance to take into account these considerations
instead of us injecting one offs to handle these replication scenarios.

> I was pretty much thinking that we could store those informations in a
> plain text file, but that would be a bit overkilling, when we can store
> them in a the DIT too. Maybe storing those information sinto the ou=config
> entry could be the right thing to do, assuming that the ou=config is not
> replicated (we will only replicate what's under ou=config, ie, its children)

Please please please let's not fuck with this. This is the worst idea I've
heard of yet. We don't need another one off here.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex