directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about Replication of Config Partition and Schema Partition
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:13:19 GMT
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Göktürk Gezer <gokturk.gezer@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I would like to know, it config and schema partitions of one server node
> can be candidate for replication? If replication of some ApacheDS instance
> will also clone its config and schema partition, we have a little problem
> because of the randomly assigned OIDs to component factories. So lets say
> ApacheDS1 and ApacheDS2 both have same set of interceptors, because of the
> nature of OSGI those can be introduced in different order in two different
> server node which results in schema partitions having different
> OID assignments for same components across 2 server node.

Right now I would not worry about replication. You can solve this problem
later. Just focus on your part functioning properly. This will be a problem
we will need to solve anyway. Plus replication is not really there in a
dependable way.

> This is something we've postponed to discuss later,

Exactly what I started writing above.

> it's not a concern for single server but in replication scenario i'd like
> to know how this effects consistency between distinct server nodes. I'm not
> so sure what is being replicated in our implementation, some partition or
> entire server with all of its runtime components and configuration?

Eventually the replication mechanism will need to support partial and
fractional replication. It's way over simplified and does not have the
control structures for us to properly configure it in a fine grained
manner.

This will need to change of course but I'd really like to review
replication after we finish with the Txn stuff because then it will make
internal replication handling much clearer for us then.

Does this make sense?

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex